Winter Training Facility (WTF). It is that time of year when it is getting more difficult if not impossible to get out for those bike rides. But don’t put those bikes away completely.
I know how we can often despise getting on those indoor trainers, but misery loves company. So join a group for a spin indoors. There are several opportunities available in the area but they have limited spin bikes and get filled to capacity quite often. So we invite y’all to get together when you can on your own bikes at the WTF.
Once again this year, starting November 1st , the CNY Tri Club has 50 bike trainers, a sound system, DVD player and two large screen displays in rented space at Shoppingtown Mall (between Dick’s and Sears). The facility is open to all current CNY Tri Club as well as Onondaga Cycling Club members.
Since we have had an incredible growth in membership, the Club invested some of those dues to increase your training possibilities.
- Now you are not constrained by finding a Spin instructor and getting in their class. You can follow a training program on large screen displays. The CNY Tri Club purchased the Spinervals Base Building 12 DVD set along with a Base Building program for use by our members at the WTF. I am busy building the program onto the winter calendar with the first few weeks already input.
- And to build your strength for next season, the CNY Tri Club has purchased the P90x DVD Program as well. An Introduction video at 12 noon on November 2nd will be given by Peter Riehlman, company representative and P90x athlete as well as Club member. The Classic program is on the schedule for the following week starting Monday November 7th.
On the calendar, we have set up a schedule for early morning risers, mid morning weekend/holiday warriors, lunch hour workday athletes, and weeknight dedicated cyclists. Just click on the day you are interested in, look for a time slot and leave a comment at the bottom to which session you will attend.
But wait the time slot has “No Leader Yet“…
Anyone can be a session leader.
- If you want to follow the Spinervals DVD Base Building Program or the P90x DVD program, no prior Instructor experience or skill is required. We are looking for volunteer leaders to issue a key to. The leader responsibilities are to unlock the facility, turn on the lights, power up and place the DVD in. Then lock away the DVD, shut off the equipment and lights prior to locking up on the way out.
- However as the leader you need to check all the bikes as they come in to ensure they are secured properly in the trainers. We have had a few occasions where even experienced athletes fell out of the trainers because they did not secure them properly. Luckily the only thing bruised so far was their egos.
What is this “Babysitter None Yet” …
We have put a slot on the schedule for a babysitter in the 6pm weekday sessions as well as the 10am weekday holiday sessions. Parents, I am guessing that for $3 a child or two siblings for $5 might add up quickly for a Babysitter. And the older kids have the Skate Center across the hall from the WTF that is open and available with the Babysitter. (2 hours for $5 roller and $7 boarding). www.blackmambaskatepark.com Once a Babysitter signs up, leave a comment at the bottom of the session if you want to use the Babysitter.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for a time slot as a leader or Babysitter.
We will post your slot on the schedule. We would appreciate committing to a recurrent time each week but we understand if you can only lead sporadically. You need to have a time slot posted on the web site’s calendar for liability purposes in order to use the facility.
And you are not limited to the time slots we have set up already. If you want to lead the session with a more traditional Cycling Class, or a DVD different than the Spinerval or P90x of the Day choice that is fine also. However, you cannot not conflict with those slots we have already setup. A weekday midmorning or afternoons and late evenings are available.
If you have a group of casual riders or competitive team, feel free to sign up to lead a time slot as well. Your group is welcome if they are current club members as well. Just be aware that other club members are eligible to attend your session as well.
Note: The DVDs are for use at the facility but Coach Troy Jacobson is providing all members a discount code, available at the WTF, for a free one month Spinervals.com membership, to purchase DVDs at 20% off for use at home. That way if you are unable to make the group session you can still get the workout in at home.
A broad overview of the full Spinervals base building program we will use through Christmas follows. You are not pressured to complete all 5 weekly sessions . And with all sessions at the WTF, ride only part or all of the workout at the effort you are ready for. We have set aside 5:30am and 6pm weekday session times as well as 6am and 10am Sunday sessions. Other times can be made available.
- an increasing longer ride on Sunday (2- 2.5 hours),
- an hour long technique oriented Monday workout,
- rest day on Tuesday (good day for Tri Yoga session),
- 1.3 to 1 hours Aerobic Intervals on Wednesday,
- 45 min Recovery ride on Thursdays,
- 1.2 to 1.7 hour Aerobic intervals on Fridays,
- Rest on Saturdays.
Note: Peter Riehlman will be able to order P90x DVD set for use at home for all those interested as well.
The P90x Classic program is based on 6 days of different DVDs to hit all your body at different times. We have set aside Monday thru Saturday noon sessions. Other times can be made available.
The first three weeks will include
- Rest on Sundays,
- Chest and Back / Abs on Monday,
- Plyometrics on Tuesday,
- Shoulder and Arms / Abs on Wednesday,
- Yoga on Thursday,
- Legs & Back / Abs on Friday,
- Kenpo on Saturday.
The winter season will be long with lots of opportunities to build yourself up for spring riding.
Take advantage of them.
CNY Tri Club Executive Board