Member Training Series @ Gillie Lake
VOLUNTEER INFO (No volunteers, no training)
We are the only club in the country that has this type of training for a low membership fee. This club is run by volunteers, we can only do these trainings if we have volunteers. If you would like to help sustain these club programs, please volunteer.
In the event that we do not have enough volunteers for the training site we will cancel all 3 training sites.
The Volunteer Director will post on the club’s Facebook page and Google Group 3 DAYS PRIOR that the training night is in danger of being cancelled and what volunteer positions need to be filled. If volunteer spots have not been filled by 5 p.m. TUESDAY BEFORE THE TRAINING SERIES the Wednesday Night training FOR ALL 3 SITES will be cancelled. WE WILL ONLY GIVE ONE WARNING. Side note: Purpose for cancelling all 3 sites is that we cannot flood the other site(s). We have 3 sites on the same night to control the numbers and to allow as many people to take advantage of Wednesday night as possible.
We will notify members about the cancellation via Facebook page, website and email via Google Groups.
Click on the Gillie Lake link below for the site’s volunteer spreadsheet with all the dates and positions needed.
Fill in your name in the date and position you can fill.
IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS OPENING THE SPREADSHEET email email@example.com
If a site is going to cancel before 4 pm due to bad weather, we will post an announcement on the club’s Facebook page and Google group. If we have to cancel after 4 pm it will be an on-site decision.
The following are the ONLY people who will ANNOUNCE A CANCELLATION of the Wednesday Night Trainings on FACEBOOK: Thomas Stern, Sam Sampere and Mindy Lu Gaffney, Bridget Lichtinger and Stacey Keefe (Oneida Shores); Mike Gasparek and Eric Prager (Gillie Lake); Maura Donovan (President). If it doesn’t come from any of these individuals then it is just a rumor.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT RULES AND INFORMATION
DUATHLONS: May 7th – May 28th (1 mile run, 9.5 or 13.5 mile bike, 3 mile run)
TRIATHLONS: June 4th – August 6th ( 500 yard swim, 9.5 or 13.5 mile bike, 3 mile run)
MAX CAPACITY for a WNT is 200 members
The most IMPORTANT rule for Wednesday night:
- MEMBERS MUST SIGN IN AND SIGN OUT.
- WED NIGHT PRACTICE STARTS PROMPTLY AT 6:00 p.m., and ends BEFORE 8 p.m.
- During the height of the training season we will get 200 members attending the summer training sessions. When participating in the summer training sessions at Gillie Lake, Oneida Shores or Jamesville, you must sign in before starting (before 6) and sign out before leaving (by 8). This is to ensure everyone is safely off the training course.
- If you fail to sign out the event director will call to verify that you are okay and you will be issued a warning.
- If you fail to sign out a second time you will issued another warning and told that your privileges of using the summer training sessions are in danger of being revoked.
- If you fail to sign out a third time you will no longer be allowed to participate in any of the summer training sessions. It is the three strikes and you are out rule. We really don’t want to ban anyone from the training sessions so please remember to sign out.
- All members must be signed out no later than 8 p.m. Watch your time carefully and do what only what time will allow you to do.
- When signing in you will be “marked” on the hand. This is so volunteers will know who you are in case of an emergency. Everyone must be signed in and ON THE BEACH by 5:55 p.m., to swim. If you are NOT signed in by 5:55, you will not be allowed to participate in the OWS.
- At the height of the training season we will be starting the OWS in waves. Volunteers checking hand stamps at the start of the OWS.
- You must enter the water by going in-between (not around) the two swim counters.
- Once you exit the water you not be allowed to re-enter.
- You must wear a bike helmet, strapped, when riding on the bike course or event area. No exceptions!
- NO headphones while on the bike.
- Do not ride two across – cyclist must be in a single file.
- NO drafting – cyclist must be at least two bike lengths from each other.
- If passing, you MUST announce “ON YOUR LEFT” EACH AND EVERY TIME.” We don’t care if you say it once or a million times.
- OBEY all traffic laws AND BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS!! YOU are in charge of your own safety. Bike course is NOT CLOSED to traffic.
- Know the course! We have maps available on the CNY Tri Club website.
- Do not run 3-4 people across. All runners are to be running on the shoulder of the road. Not IN the road. We’ve received numerous complaints about runners taking up the entire road or not moving for cars. We need to leave a positive lasting impression with the people that live in/around the area.
- Run facing traffic.
- No headphones allowed on the course. No exceptions.
- EVERYONE must be CHECKED OUT BY 8:00 p.m. (park closes). Not 8:00 or 8:01 p.m. Be courteous of the volunteers that are staying to allow you to train. Be finished and checked out BY 8:00 p.m. Be mindful of your time.
- Know the COURSE!!!!! If you haven’t been out to the site before, visit a day or two before and DRIVE the course. It is your responsibility to know the course. DO NOT create your OWN course. If you want to do something different than the course the club has then you MUST CHECK OUT. We are NOT responsible for members going rogue.
Gillie Lake, Camillus, NY
Sands Road, Veteran’s Park Camillus, NY
(Sand’s Road and Gillie Brook Road 2 miles off of Route 5 in Camillus, NY)
Gillie Lake offers two bike distances – below is the map of the ~13.5 mile course. If the participant turns around at around mile 4 (the intersection of Laird Road with Whiting Road and Kester Road), and returns along the proscribed course it will make the entire ride 9.5 miles. This will facilitate getting all three events completed before it gets dark. Stronger riders or people who want to skip the run at the end are welcome to complete the entire 13.5 mile course. We will soon post (and mark the course) for the Gillie Girl’s Sprint Triathlon — this will offer three ride options.
For more information or questions contact the Director at firstname.lastname@example.org